August 31, 2018
Most construction work is wrapping up on New Rochelle High School, Isaac E. Young Middle School and Jefferson Elementary School in time to receive teachers and students next week.
Some work, however, will stretch into the fall.
The Facilities Department will give a full report on the status of Phase II of the $106.5 million in bond-funded construction work at the Board of Education meeting on Tuesday, Sept. 4, on the eve of the first day of school. The meeting starts at 7 p.m. in the Linda E. Kelly Theatre of New Rochelle High School.
Meanwhile, here’s an overview of projects that may impact on students and staff:
New Rochelle High School
- The Clove Road entrance is scheduled to be completed by Sept. 4.
- The final two restrooms being renovated – a men’s room and women’s room, both near the Embassy – are due to be finished by Sept. 4.
- The running track around McKenna field originally is scheduled to be completed September 24.
- The North Field (football training/multi-purpose) is expected to open Sept. 1.
- The South Field (softball/multipurpose) is scheduled to be completed by October 31.
- The walkway between the fields will be completed the second week of September. (Until then, students entering from North Avenue will cross part of the North Field to reach the school.)
- The indoor pool will re-open Sept. 12.
- The administrators’ parking lot is scheduled to open Sept. 12.
- The teachers’ parking lot will receive its final surfacing after the South Field is complete, but is usable now.
Isaac E. Young Middle School
- The exterior restoration is complete except for decorative cast stone elements, which will be completed this fall.
- The loading dock driveway off Church Street, used for deliveries, is projected to be completed Sept. 14. The drive is usable now.
- Roofing was completed August 31.
Jefferson Elementary School
- Exterior Restoration, including brick replacement and terra cotta restoration, is scheduled to be completed this fall.
- All exterior work around the Weyman Avenue and Emmett Terrace entrances is scheduled to be completed for the opening of school.